Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Police and Sleep Deprivation

Last night, it rained like a son of a bitch. I had to drive to The Colony to pick up my SIL & BIL. The roads were bad but still passable, just bad enough to remind me that I need new tires.

We pick them up and Chris drives and we just hope against hope that we won't be late. The roads on the way there were pretty bad. There was a spot on the tollway where it's really narrow and I want to say there was at least 2 feet of water. That was scary. But then again, I kind of freak out about that kind of stuff. I have a fear that I'll be one of those idiots who drowns in their own car. We make it safely and get poured on while waiting to get into the Platinum Entrance. (We had the same seats we had at Coldplay, BTW.) The open act was lame. And this was supposed to be a sold out show. There was hardly anyone there. But by 8:50 the place was packed. It was a very, very cool show. They were tight and Sting can still hit most of the high notes.

I'm going to say that my BIL and SIL might be the most boring people in the world. Every time I tried to talk about something going on or something funny (you know there are tons of people to make fun of, dancing, high fiving, etc.) she would only talk about music, you know, things like "they did that one a whole half step lower than the original". Ok, I took chorus in 8th grade. That's the extent of my music knowledge. So she and her husband have degrees in music. After the show they talked about what they didn't like. Chris and I both loved it. Oh well.

So Chris is drunk because I agreed to be the DD. But even after we got there, I told him that if the roads were that bad when we left that I wouldn't be comfortable driving. He told me I was SOL. So he gets more and more boisterous as the evening goes on. He has one joke and tells it over and over and over again, getting more and more loud because, it's been my experience that if you don't get a laugh, tell it again, louder!!! And be sure to yell in the ear of the person that you are most annoying! I wanted to kill him by the time we got back to their house in The Colony. Fortunately, Corey was watching all the kids, so he drove Chris's truck back, with the annoying passenger. We leave the girls there because the were determined to stay the night there. We get home and my genius husband decided to restart his mail server at work. Well, it wouldn't come back up. So he had to go to work. I had already laid down and he caught me half asleep telling me he was going up there. After he'd been gone for about a minute, I realized that he shouldn't be driving. So I call him and he comes back and I drive him to his office at 1:45 am. He starts some process that takes about 40 minutes to run. We go to Whataburger. We get back and he tells me that it's not going to be any time soon and that I should go home and sleep until he calls me.

Did I mention that when he left, he was barefoot and carrying beer? Classy and defiant to everything we've ever talked about drinking and driving. When I got in the truck, I threw the beer out the window. And he was mad because that was his last one.

So I'm ranting and raving the whole way there and anytime he walks by where I'm sitting while I'm there. He's assessed that he would have been OK to drive (and again, brings up that fucking beer) and that I'm just being ridiculous. All the while, he's almost falling against the counter while eating his taquitos from Whataburger. I tell him that I'm done talking about it because tomorrow he'd apologize and tell me over and over how right I was. Well, I didn't have to wait, he was doing it before I left.

I get home about 3am and fall asleep about 3:30. I had some weird vampire/witch dream about Tom Cruise. It was weird but kind of cool too. I could do things with my mind! (I was a witch, he was a vampire.) Maybe a little too much Anne Rice has seeped into my brain.

So I wake up at about 5:15 am. I'm determined no one in his office is going to find semi-sober, shoeless employee at the office. Since it's a construction company, a lot of the field employees get there really early. I get up and drive up there fully expecting to find him passed out but he called me when I was pulling into the parking lot.

We get home about 6 am and I get to sleep until about 8 am. While driving around the early hours listening to the radio, I hear that I-35 southbound between 407 and Valley Ridge is shut down because it's underwater. So I drive the long way to 1171 and get on 35 there. This has been the longest fucking day and it's only noon.

I have to work tonight and I agreed to cover some one's shift. So I am working from 4-7:30. My kids are NOT going to be happy about being there. I had hoped Chris would offer to stay home tonight but he didn't. The girls are going to nap and so am I. They were still awake at midnight and had gotten up at 6 am. So they are in prime condition!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Holy shit. That's a lot of late-night activity.

What's the joke that bore repeating?

Sharon said...

One of the times that he got up to buy beer/close out tab during encore time, he was gone a long time. I turned around to see where he was. He was standing behind a group of girls watching the show and then came down. As he passed them, he and they all high fived. When he got back, I told him that was gay. So then he proceeded to tell me OVER and OVER and OVER that he could 'get a high five started, any where, any time.' On the escalator down, he was all 'hey my brother...' and got some dude to high five him. So again, LOUDLY, any where, any time, he can get any one to high five. Sure. It was funny the first time. But seriously, I must have heard him say it 10x. Yelling (because I think he's lost some hearing) it in my ear.

Mary said...

Damn, I never knew Chris was such a good ol' boy. Next time we go somewhere, I challenge you to see who can get the most high fives. It will probably be a tie. Zero to nada.