Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Keeping Up With the Jones'

I've often felt that I'm too driven to be like everyone else and I've actually done things for appearances. It's something I deal with on a daily basis but at least I'm aware. But am I passing it on to my kids? Is driving by and looking at houses that I can't realistically afford influencing them? Probably. What can I do to stop it? I think it's in every one's nature to want MORE. OK, maybe not everyone but most people...not my BIL who is now by choice living in his car. I have more than I ever thought I would have. I have more than my parents had.



So why am I not happy? Last year about this time, I was obsessed with buying the house across the street because it was huge and had a pool. Now I've moved on to another one a couple of blocks away. And this one doesn't have a pool. But it's huge with a monstrously huge yard.



I have an adequately sized house. I have a nice car. I have a boat. I get to stay home. I never go without anything I need and rarely go without anything I want.



Why am I so damned spoiled?

1 comment:

Mary said...

Well, that was weird. I made a post and was going to edit, but it deleted. To be so smart, I sure am dumb.

If you had bought the house across the street, we could be laying by the pool right now. Except I probably wouldn't be speaking to you because I'd be too jealous.